Out of all the striking techniques, boxing is all about rhythm, mastery of movement, and timing.
To develop that smooth seamless movements boxers have to incorporate into your other fight routines, you’ll need a double end bag to develop better hand-eye coordination, among other things.
Develop defensive AND offensive techniques, improve reflexes and rhythm, hit without getting hit.
Installing a double end punching bag is a little different than other boxing training equipment, mainly because it requires two anchor points. The bag will suspended using one anchor point in the ceiling and one on the floor.
The double end bag comes with bungee cords and hooks that are used to hang. The height of the bags can be adjusted according to your workout requirements.
You will need the following equipment when installing a double end bag;
- Double end bag (with bungee cords and hooks)
- A marker or pencil
- A plumb
- Drilling machine
Install Double End Bag
Once you have all the things you require, you simply have to follow the steps mentioned below:
Step # 1
- Decide on the location where you will install the bag. If you have a punching bag or speed bag set up in your home, then you can pick that same location.
- The advantage there is that you can use the ceiling or wall mount for that bag to install the double end bag.
Step # 2
- In case there is no ceiling or wall mount, you should find the best spot on the ceiling for the top anchor.
- Place the mount or hook on the ceiling and mark the points with a marker.
- The chosen anchor points should be able to handle the weight of the bag and the movement it will make during workouts.
Step # 3
- Hang the plumb tool to find the anchor point on the floor.
- Simple hang the plumb from the ceiling anchor point and the plumb bob should indicate the location perfectly.
- Mark the necessary points the same way as mentioned before.
Step # 4
- Drill holes in the marked points on the ceiling and floor.
Step # 5
- Fasten the screws of the mounts and tighten them securely with the screwdriver.
Step # 6
- Attach one bungee cord to the ceiling anchor and connect it to the bag. The double end bag should hang freely.
- Attach the second bungee cord to the lower anchor point and connect it to the bag. The bag should be suspended in the midair.
Step # 7
- The bungee cords that you have received with your bag are adjustable. You can bring the ball up or down and adjust the height according to your workout.
- The ideal height for boxing workouts is close to your chin.
- The bungee cords shouldn’t be left too loose or the bag will swing too far away when you throw punches.
Using Double End Bag
- First thing about double end bag that you should remember is that it is more like a speed bag than a heavy punching bag.
- So you will be focusing more on precision and timing than on power.
Basic Punching Combos
- You can start the workout with basic straight punches. Try to throw them as part of different combinations. You can make up your own combination and be quick with your hits.
- Don’t wait more than 3 seconds between your combos.
You can also add body shots to the combo.
Basic Defensive Movement
The defensive movement can be added to the punching combos you are throwing at the bag.
For example, throw 3 punch combo and make the third punch a little harder and the bag will pendulum towards you and you can move your body and head to avoid it.
- Jab-Cross-Head movement
Basic Foot Movement
Double end punch bag can help you with your footwork as well. You have to punch and move, jab and move, and throw a combo and move.
- Pivot jab-Pivot jab-Cross
- Jab-Jab-Slide left-Jab
- Jab-Jab-Slid right-Jab
There are many other different type of workouts that you can perform on your double end punch bag. So experiment and see how you can improve your boxing skill with the help of the bag.
The mounting process is easy, as long as you follow the steps. Make sure that you inspect the anchor points once every couple of weeks to see if they are holding. This will help you avoid any unnecessary accidents during your workout sessions.