Floyd Mayweather Back-Pedals From His RIZIN 14 Commitment

Combat sports is full of unpredictability. And so are its fighters.

Three days ago, news of Floyd Mayweather debuting in a MMA bout against Kickboxing prodigy Tenshin Nasukuwa shook the combat sports world. Now that Money is back on his home soil, he has posted a detailed post on Instagram, stating that he never agreed to officially face off Kickboxing unbeaten star. 41-year-old American also stated that he had not known anything about the Japanese fighter before Sunday.

Mayweather wrote that he was informed about a small meeting in front of some select wealthy spectators. However, the meeting turned out to a RIZIN press conference, which misguided all his fans including him by announcing an official bout between him and Tenshin Nasukuwa.

Mayweather wrote on Instagram,

“Once I arrived to the press conference, my team and I were completely derailed by the new direction this event was going and we should have put a stop to it immediately. I want to sincerely apologize to my fans for the very misleading information that was announced during this press conference and I can assure you that I too was completely blindsided by the arrangements that were being made without my consent nor approval.”

Mayweather said that he didn’t interrupt the press conference in order to avoid mayhem. However, he extended an apology to his fans for not clarifying the matter there and then.

Following is the statement issued by Floyd Mayweather on his Instagram account.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

Now that I am back on U.S. soil after a long and disappointing trip to Tokyo, I now have the time to address you, my fans and the media in regard to the upcoming event on December 31st that was recently announced. First and foremost, I want it to be clear that I, Floyd Mayweather, never agreed to an official bout with Tenshin Nasukawa. In fact (with all due respect) I have never heard of him until this recent trip to Japan. Ultimately, I was asked to participate in a 9 minute exhibition of 3 rounds with an opponent selected by the “Rizen Fighting Federation”. What I was originally informed of by Brent Johnson of “One Entertainment” was that this was to be an exhibition put on for a small group of wealthy spectators for a very large fee. This exhibition was previously arranged as a “Special Bout” purely for entertainment purposes with no intentions of being represented as an official fight card nor televised worldwide. Once I arrived to the press conference, my team and I were completely derailed by the new direction this event was going and we should have put a stop to it immediately. I want to sincerely apologize to my fans for the very misleading information that was announced during this press conference and I can assure you that I too was completely blindsided by the arrangements that were being made without my consent nor approval. For the sake of the several fans and attendees that flew in from all parts of the world to attend this past press conference, I was hesitant to create a huge disturbance by combating what was being said and for that I am truly sorry. I am a retired boxer that earns an unprecedented amount of money, globally, for appearances, speaking engagements and occasional small exhibitions.

A post shared by Floyd Mayweather (@floydmayweather) on


“Now that I am back on U.S. soil after a long and disappointing trip to Tokyo, I now have the time to address you, my fans and the media in regards to the upcoming event on December 31st that was recently announced. First and foremost, I want it to be clear that I, Floyd Mayweather, never agreed to an official bout with Tenshin Nasukawa. In fact (with all due respect) I have never heard of him until this recent trip to Japan. Ultimately, I was asked to participate in a 9 minute exhibition of 3 rounds with an opponent selected by the “Rizen Fighting Federation”. What I was originally informed of by Brent Johnson of “One Entertainment” was that this was to be an exhibition put on for a small group of wealthy spectators for a very large fee. This exhibition was previously arranged as a “Special Bout” purely for entertainment purposes with no intentions of being represented as an official fight card nor televised worldwide. Once I arrived to the press conference, my team and I were completely derailed by the new direction this event was going and we should have put a stop to it immediately. I want to sincerely apologize to my fans for the very misleading information that was announced during this press conference and I can assure you that I too was completely blindsided by the arrangements that were being made without my consent nor approval. For the sake of the several fans and attendees that flew in from all parts of the world to attend this past press conference, I was hesitant to create a huge disturbance by combating what was being said and for that I am truly sorry. I am a retired boxer that earns an unprecedented amount of money, globally, for appearances, speaking engagements and occasional small exhibitions.” – Floyd Mayweather

What do you think about Floyd Mayweather’s recent statement? Comment below.

Similar Reads:

Conor McGregor Shows His Notoriety On Instagram At News of Mayweather vs. Nasukawa

Floyd Mayweather Insists To Face Off Lightweight Champion Khabib Nurmagomedov Inside A Boxing Ring