When training for your next Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ) competition. You will require low carb foods that will give you adequate energy for your training and competition while keeping you light and limber. For exactly this you need a Jiu Jitsu recipe that is easy to make and that is what we have for you.
Introducing the spaghetti squash, the easy to make low carb and low sugar, yet still tasty, recipe that will be your favorite food during BJJ training.
Jiu Jitsu Recipe – Selecting the Squash
You have to start by selecting the perfect squash.
- You have to select the squash that is faded yellow in color. Avoid green ones as they are unripe.
- The squash should be medium in size and not too heavy.
- Once you have selected the perfect squash, get back home and get to cooking.
The best thing about spaghetti squash is that you can use it in any ‘spaghetti’ or ‘pasta’ recipe. The recipe that we have chosen for you today uses this unique spaghetti in a special kind of Pad Thai.
Spaghetti Squash Pad Thai
The ingredients that you need for your Spaghetti Squash Pad Thai are;
- 1 Squash, about 4-5lbs.
- ½ cup water
- 4 tablespoon of olive oil
- 3 eggs
- ½ pound chicken meat sliced thinly, chicken breast is ideal
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 6 minced cloves of garlic
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 average ginger, minced
- 2 scallions, chopped
- ½ cup Pad Thai sauce
- ¾ cup peanuts, chopped
- 1 lime, sliced in 4 pieces
- Salt and pepper
Now you are ready to cook this tasty meal;
- First thing you need to do is to slice the squash in half and take out all the seeds.
- Preheat your oven to 400o
- Season the squash and place it on a baking dish with water.
- Cover the squash with aluminum foil.
- Put the squash in the oven for about an hour.
- Take it out and shred the squash using a fork. You have your squash spaghetti.
- Take a pan and put two tablespoons of olive oil in it. The heat should be medium. Heat the oil and put the chicken in it.
- Cook the chicken for about 4 minutes and remove it from the pan.
- Add the sliced onion to the pan and cook for 40-60 seconds.
- Put the garlic and ginger and cook for a few seconds before adding the carrots and scallion.
- Cook for a minute and add the Pad Thai sauce to the mix.
- Take the mix out of the pan and pour the remaining olive oil to the pan.
- Put the eggs in the pan and scramble them.
- Put everything back into the pan and add the squash and chicken as well.
- Cook for about 30 seconds and take it all out.
- Pour some sauce, sprinkle the peanuts and lime juice on it.
- The dish is ready to be served.
This affordable and quick dish has a lot of benefits;
- It has very few calories
- Close to no fat
- Lots of Dietary fiber
- Vitamins that help with metabolism
- Potassium to aid muscle growth
- Protein to build muscle
You can eat the dish at any meal time. It can help you feel full so the ideal time to eat it would be breakfast and lunch. It will give you the fuel you need for the day and training sessions.
For more healthy recipes, you can browse our Healthy Eating section. Don’t forget to leave us a comment when you try out the recipe.