Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu or BJJ is a popular martial art based on grappling and ground fighting, focusing on the skill of controlling one’s opponent through skills that force him or her to submit. The foods that you eat have a powerful impact on your performance on the BJJ mats. BJJ fighters need loads of carbohydrates to maintain energy levels, stamina and replenish muscle and liver glycogen levels. If you wish to feel strong and energetic before or after a BJJ training session, you need to have foods that give you adequate energy while keeping you light and limber.
We introduce the spaghetti squash Pad Thai Recipe, it’s a low carb and low sugar, and quite simple and easy to make. This recipe will be your favorite food during BJJ training.
Jiu Jitsu Recipe – Selecting the Squash
The main ingredient in this recipe is Spaghetti Squash. Known for its nutty flavor and extraordinary nutrient profile, Spaghetti Squash is a wonderful winter vegetable. Closely related to pumpkin, squash, and zucchini, it comes in many different sizes, shapes, and colors, ranging from off-white to dark orange color. Spaghetti squash is excellent for athletes, body-builders and BJJ fighters due to high fiber content, vitamin C, manganese, and vitamin B6. It also contains small amounts of thiamine, folate, calcium, iron, and antioxidants.
Spaghetti Squash Pad Thai
The spaghetti squash Pad Thai is quite easy and simple to make. The ideal squash for this recipe should be faded yellow. Avoid green ones as they are unripe. It should be medium in size and not too heavy. The best thing about spaghetti squash is that you can use it in any ‘spaghetti’ or ‘pasta’ recipe.
- 1 Squash, about 4-5lbs.
- ½ cup water
- 4 tablespoon of olive oil
- 3 eggs
- ½ pound chicken meat sliced thinly, chicken breast is ideal
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 6 minced cloves of garlic
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 average ginger, minced
- 2 scallions, chopped
- ½ cup Pad Thai sauce
- ¾ cup peanuts, chopped
- 1 lime, sliced in 4 pieces
- Salt and pepper
- The first thing you need to do is to slice the squash in half and take out all the seeds.
- Preheat your oven to 400o C.
- Season the squash and place it on a baking dish with water.
- Cover the squash with aluminum foil.
- Put the squash in the oven for about an hour.
- Take it out and shred the squash using a fork. You have your squash spaghetti.
- Take a pan and put two tablespoons of olive oil in it. Heat the oil and put the chicken in it.
- Cook the chicken for about 4 minutes and remove it from the pan.
- Add the sliced onion to the pan and cook for 40-60 seconds.
- Put the garlic and ginger and cook for a few seconds before adding the carrots and scallion.
- Cook for a minute and add the Pad Thai sauce to the mixture.
- Take the mixture out of the pan and pour the remaining olive oil to the pan.
- Put the eggs in the pan and scramble them.
- Put everything back into the pan and add the squash and chicken as well.
- Cook for about 30 seconds and take it all out.
- Pour some sauce, sprinkle the peanuts and lime juice on it.
- The dish is ready to serve.
This affordable and quick dish has following benefits:
- Fewer calories
- Close to no fat
- Lots of Dietary fiber
- Vitamins that help with metabolism
- Potassium to aid muscle growth
- Protein to build muscle
You can eat the dish at any meal time. It can help you feel full so the ideal time to eat it would be breakfast and lunch. It will give you the fuel you need for the day and training sessions. This recipe is also an excellent choice for boxers and MMA fighters. Their training sessions are just as grueling as BJJ’s.
For more healthy recipes, you can browse our Healthy Eating section. Don’t forget to leave us a comment when you try out the recipe.