Sandbag is quite a flexible and functional training tool for high-intensity strength and conditioning workouts. Sandbag is a weighted item with unstable and constantly shifting weight.
Though it is a slightly uncomfortable unstable weight, it forces the core to work even harder to stabilize the basic movements as well. Sandbag is a handy tool for full body workouts from chest and shoulders to legs.
It is more widely used by the popular martial artists, rugby players, and combat sports where ultimate goals are power, strength, and especially speed. Take it anywhere from at-home workout session to outdoor exercises.
Before moving on, keep one thing in your mind: Sandbags are not the general substitutes for weighted items like barbells and dumbbell.
According to Josh Henkin, C.S.C.S, creator of Ultimate Sandbag Training System (USTS):
“They play by a totally different set of rules.”
Sandbag Workout For Beginners
For the sandbag workout, we have compiled a list of 7 sandbag exercises that work out your full body. This sandbag training is for you to develop some basic moves and then progress onto a heavy bag intense workout.
Sandbag Exercises For Chest
Here are the top chest training exercises for you to work out your chest.
1. Sandbag Chest Press
- Lie down on the ground and keep your back straight.
- Now bend your knees and place the feet firmly into the ground.
- Now use both hands to grab the sandbag.
- Press it directly up and forward. Do it as you would do a conventional chest press.
- Extend the elbows, wait for a while and then lower down the sandbag.
- From this starting position, now you can repeat the above steps for the next rep of this move.
- It is recommended to do the exercise on a bench (only if available).
2. Sandbag Toss
- Stand straight and then hold the sandbag using your both hands.
- Now toss it up above the sky to catch it when it comes back.
- Make sure to bend the knees slightly upon catching the sandbag to avoid lower back injuries.
Sandbag Exercises For Shoulders
Develop strength and endurance in your shoulders and arms with this golden sandbag exercise for shoulders.
3. Sandbag Shoulder To Shoulder Press
- Place the legs shoulder-width apart, and put the sandbag in between the feet.
- Without using handles, hold the sandbag from its sides.
- Now give your body a complete movement by shouldering it on one side.
- Then engage your lats and press it overhead. Make sure to keep the core and shoulders tightly packed.
- Without tilting your neck, lock out the arms.
- Now, wait for a while at the lockout position you just acquired.
- Repeat the same move with opposite shoulder by lowering down the sandbag to it.
Sandbag Exercises For Back
Avoid back pain by working out your back with these sandbag exercises.
4. Sandbag Crossover Step Deadlift
- Stand in front of the sandbag by keeping your back dead straight.
- Deadlift the sandbag and take it up to the hip height.
- Using your one foot, now step backward and place the toes right behind the opposite foot.
- Wait for a few seconds at the bottom of the movement. Now return to the standing position by pushing through the back foot toes.
- Do the same with the opposite foot as well.
Sandbag Exercises For Legs
Runners use sandbag very often to work out their legs and glutes.
5. Sandbag Lunge with Rotation
- In this move, grab both handles of the sandbag in such a way that your palms are facing each other.
- Keep your feet together and stand completely straight while keeping your sandbag in front of your legs.
- Take a backward step with one foot to perform the straight-legged lunge.
- Now bend the front knee.
- While lunging back, give your sandbag a rotation outside the front knee.
- Now stand up again and acquire the starting position. Do this while squeezing your glutes.
- Now repeat the same move with the other leg.
Sandbag Exercises For Core
These exercises will let you develop ultimate core strength.
6. Sandbag Jump Squats
- Simple place the sandbag in front of you.
- Now perform the conventional squat.
- Now reflect upward in a dynamic fashion.
- Continue the move.
7. Sandbag Power Market
- This move starts with the standard squat position.
- Now hold the bag with both hands on the ground.
- Now slowly rise to a standing position.
- Flip it upwards towards yourself and take it overhead.
- Wait for a while and maintain the position.
- Now slowly lower the sandbag back towards the floor.
- Go back to the squat position again and repeat the movement.
You can also combine these sandbag exercises to develop your very own full-body workout.