Now that you have learned to hang your bag, now it is time to learn how to care for and clean punching bag that you own. Believe us when we say this, hanging up your punching bag was the easy part.
There is no short cut or trick to keeping your punching bag clean. You have to perform regular maintenance and cleaning to keep it looking its best and to ensure that its durability isn’t mired. Because if you don’t, you will have to buy a punching bag sooner than you think.
You should begin with these simple tips, then you can move to the detailed cleaning methods;
- Clean the punching bag after every time you use it.
- Do a thorough cleaning of the bag once a week.
- Perform a close inspection of the bag once every week to see if there is any damage or tears.
Clean Punching Bag
Punching bags, especially leather punching bags, can set you back by quite a bit when you buy boxing gear. If you adhere to the tips above, then it will give you a schedule that you can follow. When it comes to how to clean punching bag then the following information is all that is required;
Synthetic or Pure Leather
As mentioned, punching bags are usually made of two types of materials; leather or synthetic leather. What’s the first rule for caring for leather products? Keep them away from moisture as much as possible.
So obviously, you can’t just empty out the bag and throw into your washer and dryer or soak it in water in any way.
Wiping the Bag Down
- You can use a damp cloth to wipe down the bag after you have used it.
- Disinfectant wipes also are a good item to wipe the bags with. But you will have to go through a lot of them.
- Let it hang in the open to dry (in case you store the bag somewhere after use).
- Don’t place it in direct sunlight. It will take away the natural oils of the material.
Thoroughly Cleaning the Bag
- For the weekly cleaning of the bag, you will need antibacterial spray. Spray the bag and wipe it down with a towel.
- You can also use a DIY vinegar and water solution to wipe the bag;
- Put 1 tablespoon of vinegar in a cup of water.
- Mix it well.
- Put the solution in a spray bottle.
- Spray it on the bag.
- Wipe it down with a towel.
- Apple cider can also be used in the same manner but do wipe down the bag with a damp cloth after using apple cider on it.
- Use leather cleaners, like the one you use for your car seats, to clean punching bag. Traditional leather cleaners can be bought at stores.
- Leather treatment solutions or liquids are also a good idea. They can restore the natural oils of the leather and keep it from cracking.
- After every cleaning method, you have to leave the punching bag out to dry in a ventilated area.
- Keep it away from sunlight or other heat sources as they may damage it.
Inspect Punching Bag
Your next task is to inspect the bag closely for any damage. You don’t want the bag to fail during a workout as it may be an injury hazard.
Examine the leather to see if there are any cracks. If the cracks are minor use the leather treatment solutions mentioned above. If they are major, then you may have to replace your punching bag.
Next, you have to check the stitching of the punching bag. Heavy punching bags can hold a lot of weight, plus the regular punishment that you dole out is hard on the stitching. If you haven’t been caring for the bag properly then the stitching might be coming loose. Assess the stitching and decide if your punching bag can endure or if it needs to be replaced.
You should also take the time to look at the mount, wall or ceiling, for the bag. Continuous movement can cause the mounts to get loose at times. Check the nuts, bolts or screws and tighten them if required.
Chains of the bag also require care. Don’t forget them when you are cleaning and inspecting the bag weekly. Any damage to them can be disastrous. If they fail during a workout, the bag could fall and cause injuries.
Create a routine with the help of the information above and your punching bag should endure for years. For DIY and how to articles please visit our blog’s DIY section. It has some great advice on how you can care for your combat gear properly.