Police arrested Conor McGregor in Miami last night due to involvement in a minor altercation over a cell phone. His legal team confirmed in a statement about UFC star’s arrest. Apparently it happened at 5:20 am on Monday at Fontainebleau Miami Beach Hotel, the home of Liv nightclub. According to police, a fan approached McGregor with the intention of taking a picture. Conor McGregor slapped the phone out of the victim’s hand before stamping on it. This resulted in a call to the law enforcement.
“The victim attempted to take a picture of the defendant with his cell phone,” a police report said. “The defendant slapped the victim’s phone out of his hand, causing it to fall to the floor.
“The defendant then stomped on the victim’s phone several times, damaging it.
“The defendant then picked up the victim’s phone and walked away with it, depriving him of it. The defendant was located and arrested.”
The incident took place when a fan tried to take a picture with the former UFC lightweight champion. Police arrested McGregor on charges of felony strong-armed robbery and criminal mischief. McGregor left after posting a bond of £9,500 ($12,500).
McGregor refused to comment while leaving the Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center however his team issued a brief statement a few hours later.
McGregor’s lawyer Samuel Rabin said;
“Last evening Conor McGregor was involved in a minor altercation over a cell phone that resulted in a call to law enforcement,
“Mr. McGregor appreciates the response of law enforcement and pledges his full cooperation.”
Several hours after being released McGregor took on to Instagram;
“Patience in this world is a virtue I continue to work on.
“I love my fans dearly. Thank you all.”
Conor McGregor has recently completed community service at churches following the infamous bus bust-up mid last year.
So far he has faced two felony charges at the Barclays Center but reached a plea deal with the Brooklyn District Attorney, pleading guilty to misdemeanor disorderly conduct.
McGregor, 30, last fought at UFC 229 in October 2018 where he suffered a fourth-round submission loss to Khabib Nurmagomedov.
The Dubliner involved himself in a mass brawl moments later. For his involvement, he received a six-month suspension and a fine of £38,000. He’ll be free to compete from April 6 onwards.