Along with the punching bag, you will also need to use a speed bag in order to keep your boxing training on track.
Benefits of speed bags are worthy of note. For boxers, a speed bag is a great way to increase your quickness and hand eye coordination. For people looking to achieve fitness goals, it is an excellent cardio workout. Combine the two bag workouts, punching bag and speed bag, and you will be to achieve your weight management goals in no time at all. In this post you can learn how easy it is to install a speed bag in your home and how you can get the best use out it.
Hang Speed Bag
You have three options when it comes to hanging the speed bag. You can either purchase a ceiling mount, a wall mount or a platform.
If you go with a speed bag platform like this one, you don’t have to do anything. Just put together the platform according to the provided instructions and you are good to go.
If you go with the other two options, then you can follow the steps given below;
- Drilling machine
- Ceiling/Wall mount
Step 1: Pick the Right Space
You have to find the perfect spot to hang the speed bag. Basements usually have low ceiling making them ideal for ceiling mounts. Also, a corner of the basement will take you away from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the house. When you hang the bag, ensure that it is eye height.
If you do not have a basement, then you can find a place for the wall mount inside your home.
Step 2: Get to Drilling
As already mentioned, when you are measuring the height of the speed bag, the striking area should be in front of your forehead. Hold the mount to the wall or ceiling and mark the screw holes using a marker.
Drill holes in the marked places, according to the screws or bolts that came with the mount.
Step 3: Attach the Mount
You can either use a screwdriver or wrench to secure the mount on the ceiling or wall.
After you have tighten the 4-6 screws on the mount, grab hold of it and check to see if it wobbles or is uneven. Ensure the mount is even with the help of the level.
Step 4: Hang the Bag
Now it’s time to hang the bag on the mount. The hook will be at the center of the mount. The bag has a hook of its own. You can hang the bag using the hook and close it.
The bag should be hanging straight and come to your eye or nose level at most.
Step 5: Test the Bag
Throw some test punches at the bag. It should fly towards the back and come straight back and swing to the front. If the movement is smooth, then you have done a perfect job.
If the bag wobbles in anyway, go above the list and see if you have missed something.
Use Speed Bag
You are free to use the speed bag now. Here is a refresher on how you can use the speed bag;
- Stand close to the bag, so you don’t have to extend your arms towards it.
- Don’t take your normal boxing stand. You don’t need to generate power here.
- Stand straight facing the speed bag.
- Hit the bag. It will bounce 3 times after every hit. So wait and then hit it again.
- Hit the bag with open hand first, in case you are a beginner.
- Hitting slowly with open palms will help you build a rhythm for your hits.
- Make sure that your hands are close to the bag, so there is no buildup and you don’t the bag too hard.
- Hit with one hand at a time. Follow a rhythm of 2 rights then 2 lefts. Or 3 for each hand.
- With every hit, your hand should make a small circle.
- After about 10 minutes of open hand training, try it with closed fists.
- Wear inner gloves, hand wraps or training gloves while you train with the speed bag.
You can find speed bag and all the other related items on our site. So make the purchase and follow the instructions above to hang it properly. Our DIY section has a lot more advice to offer, do check it out.