The fireworks flew as soon as the press conference started.
The insults, the ‘customized suit’, the bravado and the bold predictions were everything that the fans were expecting and more.
And this was just the first press conference for the Aug 26 Money vs. Notorious fight.
It was about a year ago when the rumors started that a dream matchup between one of the most successful boxers of all time and a fierce MMA phenom could be possible.
The prospect that Floyd Mayweather Jr. could come out of retirement for one more fight was exhilarating enough for boxing fans.
But the fact that he would possibly be fighting MMA superstar Conor McGregor made it a dream matchup.
From Rumor to Reality
Soon everyone in the MMA and boxing universe started sounding off on the Mayweather-McGregor matchup. Big names in the mixed martial arts and boxing, like Oscar De La Hoya, let their feelings be known.
It didn’t take much time before the probable participants started to comment on it.
McGregor took to social media and posted videos of himself boxing.
They eventually drew the attention of Mayweather and when he finally said that ‘he wanted the fight to happen’. That is when the wheels started to spin and both fighters were brought to the table.
McGregor was the first to sign the contract that would make it all happen.
Mayweather took his time and after some meetings and discussions, the report was leaked that he had started training.
It was long after when the news of that the ‘Fight of the Century’ was confirmed and the fight was on for Aug 26 in Las Vegas.
The First Face Off
July 11 was marked for the first press conference of Mayweather-McGregor fight.
Never has there ever been more hype for a press conference than this one.
Both fighters took the stage at Staples Center in Las Angeles in front of a rowdy crowd and were face to face for the first time.
After a musical performance and customary introductions; it was finally time for both the fighters to step in front of the mic for the first time. It was the moment that every combat sports fan had been waiting for, and it did not disappoint.
Quite possibly the most entertaining trash talker in the recent history of combat sports, Conor McGregor, was up first and his wit took center stage.
With a “Baby, we did it” Notorious begin the trash talking calling it a ‘quarter of a fight’ because of the limited rules.
His suit spoke for itself.
Mayweather took the mic and chanted “Hard work, dedication” which was awkward because the crowd was not really into it.
He continued saying that he would ‘kick a**’ in the octagon as well, which many people disagreed with.
Money recovered by being his old boastful self, calling McGregor ‘Mr. Tapout’. He addressed Conor directly and told him that “you’ll be leaving in one of two ways, out on your face, or out on your back”.
With a 49-0 record and the fact that the fight is taking place in a boxing ring; Mayweather’s boasts seem very plausible.
Off the Mic
Fighter faced each other and exchanged some ‘pleasantries’ away from the mic. Only McGregor and Mayweather know what was said, but it seemed that they were trying to antagonize each other.
Calm nerves prevailed and there were no untoward events, though fans would have appreciated some sparks.
Another highlight of the press conference was a hilarious exchange between McGregor and Mayweather Sr. backstage.
This press conference goes to McGregor, he made witty comments and won the crowd over. Cheers, that were far off, in the beginning, are now loud and clear.
The press tour for the fight will continue tomorrow with a stop in Toronto, with New York and London to follow.
Barbs will fly.
The war of words will be waged.
The psychological games will continue.
Until Mayweather and McGregor step into the ring in Las Vegas on Aug 26.
Sound off on what you thought of the first Mayweather-McGregor press event in the comments below. Stay tuned for more updates on the fight!