A popular form of HIIT workout, Tabata training is a composite of hardcore, intense exercises with 20-second workout and 10-second relaxation cycle. The whole regime takes about 4 minutes; however engaging into this less-than-5-minute exercise ensures that your body is pushed to its limits.
Developed by Ph.D. Izumi Tabata at the National Institute of Fitness and Sports in Tokyo, it’s a method that involves a total of 8 rounds of 20-second workout intervals. Traditionally it focuses on one exercise only; however, you can choose from a wide array of workouts and tailor them into a custom 4-minute program. Nowadays people opt for quicker results, and Tabata training is a very useful way to get desired results in a very short span of time.
How Does Tabata Training Help?
Following are the ways in which Tabata training can ensure a healthy and fit body.
Burn Fat: Though Tabata exercise seems to be only 4 minutes long, it is extremely demanding on the body. As you engage in the workout, it continues to put stress on the body, increasing the Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR). BMR is the rate at which the body utilizes energy reserves while in a state of rest. With an increase in BMR and subsequent increase on the impact on the body, the fat burning process accelerates. Research conducted on Tabata regime shows that by engaging into 20-minute strenuous workout can help burn down 15 calories per minute while improving bone density and increasing your metabolic rate significantly,
Increase Stamina: Aerobic strength of a body maybe defined as its ability to use maximum amount of oxygen during an activity, while anaerobic strength is the maximum energy reserves it can generate by fuelling carbs in the absence of oxygen. According to Japanese research an intense 4-minute Tabata workout performed 4 times a week improves aerobic strength up to 15 percent and anaerobic power up to 28 percent.
Ideal exercise for busy people: The most common excuse for people to skip workout is time constraint. However, with this convenient workout you can achieve maximum results without worrying about your fit schedule.
Devising a Tabata Workout
- Choose whether you want to engage in compound exercises such as bench press and deadlift or you want to focus on a cardio workout. You can incorporate any HIIT exercise into an effective Tabata workout plan.
- Engage into a 5 to 10 minute warmup session. You can perform a dynamic making your body ready by hopping onto a stationary bike.
- Now perform the first set for 20 seconds trying to make as many repetitions as possible.
- Take rest for 10 seconds making sure that your body is in good form.
- Now continue exercising for 20 seconds followed by a 10-second rest period. Ideally a Tabata workout should last four minutes. However, if you are new, you can stop after half the time.
Tabata Workout # 1
Total Time: 4 minutes
Sprint: 20 seconds
Lunge Walk: 10 seconds
Start off with sprinting for 20 seconds and then move to lunge walking in the same direction for 10 seconds. Keep alternating the two movements until the total of 4 minutes are over.
Tabata Workout # 2
Total Time: 4 minutes
Rows Hard: 20 seconds
Rows Easy: 10 seconds
Start rowing hard for 20 seconds and then slow down at the rower during 10-second recovery time.