Anthony Joshua’s fight plans are in serious danger after the New York State Athletic Commission (NYSAC) suspended Jarrell Miller for the use of banned substances. Joshua hopes that his promoter, Eddie Hearn, will confirm a replacement opponent soon.
Joshua, a WBO, WBA and IBF heavyweight champion, will likely defend his belts on June 1 at Madison Square Garden, New York. It will be his first American showing. However, things turned last week when his challenger, Miller, failed three drugs tests stemming from March. Consequently, the NYSAC refused to sanction his boxing license.
This is not going to change the overall plan as the venue and date of the fight remains same. However, Hearn hopes to announce a new opponent in the days to come.
Anthony Joshua shared his thoughts about the moment he found out about Miller’s positive test and what he told Hearn.
“When Eddie called me and he broke the news to me, these things happen in sport, so I don’t get in my feelings about it, but what I did say is ‘whoever it is, I’m down to ride.
“He’s [Hearn] doing the negotiations, he’s having the conversations. Hopefully it’ll be in the next 48 hours or 72 hours we’ll have an update.
“I keep my head down and try to stay out of trouble, that’s the best thing I can do, and deliver in the ring.
“June 1, MSG, it’s still going down. The landlord will still come and collect his rent.”
Joshua teased Miller and went on to fire a few shots at him. In February, Joshua blew a kiss at Miller’s Mum, and said:
“Where’s your mum? You’re lucky I pay her rent now, you should bow to me when you see me.”
This time he returned the same jibe during latest YouTube video.
“And by the way, to Miller’s Mum, I still love you.
“If there’s anything I can do for you, just let me know.”
Anthony Joshua also taunted Miller in the description of the video by writing:
“I’m a man of my word, I’ll still pay his mum’s rent.”
Rumor is that the Brit will face American Michael Hunter on June 1 instead of Miller.