If you are a beginner to the weight and resistance training, cable machines are the safest workout accessory. They let you perform the workout in a very controlled environment while offering injury rehabilitation.
Advantages Of Cable Machine
- Easy to use
- Allow a fluid movement with proper form and range of motion.
- Less prone to chronic injuries
- Give proper balance and support to your body
- Let you isolate one muscle group at a time for intense workout
- Adjustable height let you perform workout in myriad of body positions
Tricep Rope For Cable Pulley System
Pulley machines are often used in conjunction with the medicine ball, exercise bench and specifically the tricep rope.
Tricep rope is an essential piece of exercise equipment for biceps and lats training along with the obvious tricep exercises. To use a tricep rope, you need access to the cable pulley system. Bu using a cable pulley system, you will be able to employ more motor units (muscle fibers) during the entire muscular movement.
How To Build A Cable Exercise Machine At Home?
The most alluring advantage of exercising in a gym or school weight room is the access to a variety of machines like cable pulley system. But if you have your very own home gym, it is frustrating to step outside the home for muscular training on a cable machine.
With this DIY cable pulley system, all your cable machine woes are gone. In this simple tutorial, we will guide you how to make a cable pulley system for your tricep rope.
Find out the precise location of your cable pulley system. Now measure the ceiling where you want to install it. Now find the two strong and solid points where your new cable pulley system can be hanged. Mark these spots that must be at least 12-inch wider than the wingspan on each side.
Things To Buy
You will be able to find most of these items at home already (only if you are item hoarder like me)
- Screw hooks with high load capacity (2)
- Pulley wheels of atleast 125-pound grade (2)
- Chain sections with almost 2-foot size (2). A recommended grade is 1300 pounds.
- Utility links of atleast 150-pound grade (4)
- Electrical tape
- 1/2-inch wide cable clamps (4)
- 3.16-inch steel cable sections (2). Multiply your ceiling height by 12 for its length.
- Fitness band with handles (1)
- Knife or scissors
Build Cable Pulley System
- You market two spots earlier on the ceiling. Screw the hook on of these marks now.
- On this hook, fit one of the pulleys. Now pass a cable through this pulley.
- Hold one end of the cable and make a loop by folding its 6-8 inches. Use electrical tape and cable clamps to secure it properly so it may not loosen.
- Repeat the same step#3 with the other side of the cable.
- Take one of the chain sections and add the weight of almost 10 pounds to it.
- Use utility link to connect the ends of the chain.
- In the step#3, you made a loop on one of the ends of the cable. Via loop, connect the utility link with one of the cable’s ends.
- Connect the other end of the cable to the other utility link.
- Now use knife/scissors to cut the handles of the fitness band.
- Take these handles and connect them to the opposite utility link.
DIY Cable Stations Is Ready To Test
Now that you have your cable pulley system ready, it is time to test its limits.
Pick up the handles and perform a pulldown or pressdown with it. It must be able to handle 10 pounds on the chain quite easily. Perform 5-10 reps to test its capability to hold the load. Now keep on increasing the weight to find out its maximum weight limit.
With a good quality sturdy grades, this cable pulley system will be able to withstand a maximum of 70 pounds easily.
Once you have tested the recently installed cable system, install the other cable system on the second spot you marked on the ceiling. Make sure the handles are on the interior of your cable pulley system. Now test it in the same way as you tested the first one.
Once you have tested both cable systems separately, test both simultaneously. Perform 20 reps of cable crossovers, first with light weights and then with heavier weights.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed your very own cable pulley system.