Ever wondered why those bodybuilders are trying to squat weirdly with those hefty sacks of sand? If you are new to sandbag training, you might be curious about the sandbag exercises and how can you use this giant bag to get lean.
Related: 7 Sandbag Exercises For Beginners
Don’t worry, you have landed in the right place!
Why Use Sandbags?
Sandbag is a functional tool if you dream of a flat belly. Apart from weight loss benefits, there are various other benefits of incorporating sandbag training into your workout.
- Develop good functional strength with unstable load training of sandbag.
- Cardiovascular conditioning that can be performed anywhere with a sandbag.
- It is extremely functional and versatile weighted item that does not dig a hole in your pocket.
Sandbag Workout For Weight Loss
Sandbag training has been around for hundreds of years. Many wrestlers and martial arts fighters used this weighted accessory for their functional training regime.
We have designed a simple sandbag circuit for you to condition the body and burn a ton of calories instantly.
Before starting out the sandbag training, you must warm-up for about 5-10 minutes. You can use any warm-up workout as per your choice and body. However, we recommend performing some stretches before moving on to the sandbag training program.
In this first circuit, you need to rest for the minimum time possible in between the exercises.
After the circuit, you can rest for almost 2 minutes. Then, repeat to do atleast 3 more rounds.
To move on to the next circuit, complete 4 rounds of this circuit.
- Bear Hug Squat: 10 reps
- Push-up: 15 reps
- Rotational Lunge: 10 (each side)
- Bent-over row: 15
This circuit is pretty intense in comparison to the circuit#1. Maintain the work-to-rest ration of 20s/10s for atleast 8 rounds.
Sandbag Shouldering: 8 sets.
Sandbag Training Exercises
In this section, we will explain how to perform each sandbag exercise via detailed video tutorials.
Bear Hug Squat
- Grab the sandbag in the vertical position as if you are hugging it against your body.
- Now lower your body to get into the squat position. Try to keep your back straight while sitting back.
- Throughout the entire movement, ensure a neutral spine and engaged core.
- Place your both hands on the sandbag placed beneath the shoulders.
- Place the feet together and back straight from head to toe.
- To give a slight tension to your body, gently squeeze the glutes.
- Now lower down the body without widening your elbows.
- Now push yourself back up while pressing onto the ground.
- Hold the sandbag and stand tall.
- While rotating the sandbag in front of your body, step back to get into the reverse lunge position.
- Now step back other foot into a reverse lunge position.
- Rotate the sandbag to the outside of the front foot.
- Don’t let the sandbag imbalance you by keeping the trunk engaged.
- In front of your toes, set the sandbag up.
- Now bend down on your knees to grab the sandbag while keeping your back straight.
- Hold it from the handles to pull it near your chest.
- Make sure that you are not rounding the back while performing this move.
- Grab the sandbag from the middle using your both hands after bending down at your knees.
- Now quickly lift it up.
- Now swing back the top end of the sandbag over your shoulder.
- Drop down the weight then.
- Now repeat the same move with the other shoulder.
- You must not pull the sandbag with arms.
- Use your legs and hips to lift it over your shoulder.
Enjoy a flat belly with this sandbag training workout that won’t take more than 30 minutes.